Thursday 16 July 2015

Athabasca Glacier in Jasper National Park, Alberta

After the scenic ride on David Thompson Highway we were now getting closer to highway 93, this road will take us along the Icefield Parkway in Jasper National Park. This area is my favourite, while driving this highway you will be amazed at all the scenery and mountain views. I recommend pulling over and stopping at the viewing areas so you can take in all the scenery. You miss a lot while driving and having to watch the road and other vehicles in front of you. There is just so much to see, take the time to enjoy all of it!

Traveling on the Icefields Parkway #93 to Athabasca Glacier located in Jasper National Park, Alberta

You will have to purchase a Parks Canada pass and there are booths located when entering the National Parks. My husband and I purchased a one year pass and this allows easy access into Jasper and Banff National Park. Our pass allows for 7 motorcycles to travel together through the gate. The cost was around $136.00 but a daily family/group pass will cost you about $19.60 and you can enjoy the park for a day.


Fantastic views are everywhere! I love touring this area, one of my all time favourites.

Before entering the Icefields area we were cooking hot, and the sun was beating down on us. We ran out of drinking water and discussed how next time we will pack a lot more water for sure. We met a great couple from Ontario and they shared their water with us, filling up one of our drinking bottles. We offered to pay but they wouldn't take our money, and said they were happy to help. They were traveling to British Columbia and my husband recommended they take a tour through the Kaslo and Nakusp area. They were wonderful and I was very thankful to have talked with them.

Athabasca Glacier parking lot for tourists. The Glacier Discovery Centre is behind us across the highway.

The one thing you will notice when driving closer to the Athabasca Glacier is how the temperature will drop. You will really feel it when riding a scooter or motorcycle. It's an awesome feeling when you are driving in hot temperatures of 33 degrees Celsius/91 Fahrenheit and then it's chilly cold with the strong breeze coming off the glacier. We drove to a viewing area to get a closer look. It was a great moment, and you feel so small when looking up at this massive sheet of ice coming out of the Columbia Icefield. 

Enjoying this incredible ride with my Vespa GTV300ie 

The Athabasca Glacier can also be seen from the highway and the traffic in this area becomes quite slow as it is a 50 kph zone. But that is okay, the views are awesome and I enjoy having the time to look around. My Vespa was great to ride in this area and I was having a lot of fun. There are also quite a few tour buses coming out of the Glacier Discovery Centre that is across the highway from the glacier. You are welcome to stop in their parking lot if you want to take a Glacier Tour in an Ice Explorer bus vehicle. I also have seen signs that you can eat there too, I have never stopped in but I would like to check this place out the next time we ride through this area. It is very busy at peak tourism time but the tours go all day and into late afternoon.

This roadside marker shows you where the Athabasca Glacier used to be in 1935

I highly recommend seeing the Athabasca Glacier as a great motorcycle riding experience. If you love scenic drives, this is for sure one you will want to do in the near future. I love going there and miss it as soon as we leave the Jasper National Park. There is so much to see, and it is a photographer's dream. So put this one in your Bucket List or add it to this year's vacation choices. I hope you do get a chance to see these incredible glacier giants, you will not be sorry, and most likely you will regret taking so long to do this trip.








2 comments:

  1. I love that area, it has been a while since I have been there. I remember seeing that glacier when I was a kid, so sad how it has retreated, walking to the bottom of it is really something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is quite the experience to see these glaciers. I want to spend more time there in the near future.

    ReplyDelete