Thursday 30 April 2015

Review 2013 Vespa GTV 300 i.e.

Today was a great day riding a 2013 Vespa GTV 300 around the Pigeon Lake area. This scooter has a fun attitude, playful spirit, and a real energetic personality.

2013 Vespa GTV 300 i.e.

First off, let me introduce this scooter to you.

SPECIFICATIONS from Vespa Canada's Website
(This is a condensed version, please visit Vespa's website for more information)
Engine: Single-Cylinder Catalysed 4-stroke 4-Valves Quasar Engine with Electronic Injection
Capacity: 278cc
Max Power: 15,8 KW at 7.500 RPM (21.9 HP)
Max Torque: 22,3 NM at 5.250 RPM (16.4 FT-LB)
Fuel Supply: P.I. Injection (Port Injected)
Cooling: Liquid
Starter: Electric
Transmission: Automatic Twist and Go (CVT with Torque Server)
Seat Height: 31.1 Inches - 790 mm
Fuel Tank Capacity: 2.5 Gal. - 9.5 Liters
MPG: 29 KM/L
Max. Speed: 129 KM/H
MSRP: $7,495
My scoot was also equipped with ABS brakes and has a beautiful Espresso colour.
Accessories (windscreen, side stand, floor mat, leather top case) were purchased online through Scooter West (San Diego, CA) website.

Today was a cool spring day in Alberta, but we did manage to have the sun peek out occasionally from the clouds to warm us up, I was very thankful for those moments as my hands were not enjoying the cold. I started my ride on a gravel driveway and this Vespa handled it great, the low seat height makes you feel safe and in control. This Vespa has a really peppy engine and you are on your way with a twist of the throttle, the fun begins immediately. You will have a smile on your face within seconds of taking off.

 We continued our ride on a road going through Mulhurst that finds the lake and we slow down in a 30 km/h zone, hard to do on a scooter that wants to go, but the view of the lake is worth it and the cool air coming off of it is a reminder to us that summer is not quite here yet. I immediately regret wearing a t-shirt under my Power Trip jacket, should have put my Klim long sleeve shirt on, oh well, we are already heading out of town and I convince myself that I will survive and maybe burn off some extra calories, perfect for a future motorcycle jacket purchase.

Heading out of town we enter a construction zone, the highway we need to travel on has had Pavement Milling done, and now the surface is bumpy and textured. I look at this as a positive, perfect conditions to drive a Vespa on to feel how it will handle on different road surfaces. Off we go, and quickly we get up to the 80 km/h construction zone speed. I am happy and relieved that this scoot handles the road great even in the poor state of condition it is in, a few moments later I glance down to see my speedo showing 100 km/h, I let off on the throttle to resume the speed limit as in Alberta speeding tickets are double in construction zones. I am impressed and the suspension handles this situation great, the tires also hold on to this textured road with no problems. If I was scoring this Vespa on a Construction Zone Report Card he would for sure receive a passing mark, never did I feel that I was not in control, I had to be cautious of the situation and that was all I needed to do.

We continued on to secondary road 616X and this is a sweet little road that offers quite a few corners, something we don't have a lot of in most areas of Alberta. The posted speed is 80 km/h and again I glance down to see I am going 100 km/h. I slow down to the posted speed (or close to it, he-he) and enjoy the scooter's twist and go attitude. This bike is fun, light, and very flickable in the corners, so much so that if you just think about leaning, this scooter will almost just do it. Again staying at the posted speed turns out to be more work than you would think with a 300cc engine, but believe me this scooter wants to go. I enjoy every corner, the GTV 300 holds the lines well, and I feel in control at all times, I am wanting to go faster but the thought of a speeding ticket isn't on my "To Do List" for today. It's funny because a couple minutes later coming towards me in the other lane is an RCMP car, I look down to see my speedo showing a reasonable speed, no ticket today! Hip-hip hooray, maybe I will be shopping for a new jacket yet.

We drive onto highway #771 and here the speed limit is 100 km/h, we quickly arrive at the speed limit, no hassle at all, and surprising for a scooter with this engine size. I notice that if you roll on the throttle you will get up to speed way quicker than just aggressively twisting the throttle which causes the engine to lag. This scooter likes to please so don't feel you have to beat that out of him. It will give you a good time don't worry.

 
Bag hook is located just under ignition, great for a baseball cap too
I did play with the speed quite a bit and I do have to tell you this Vespa handles well up to around 124 km/h but after that the backend felt like it was being pushed to it's limits and you won't want to push the GTV 300's small wheels at that speed for too long. According to Vespa's website 129 km/h is the maximum speed. This scooter was not built to go super fast, so don't think you will be achieving Ninja 300 speeds, you won't. If you need to pass slower vehicles that shouldn't be a problem but you will have to allow time to do it. Don't expect this scooter to handle being on a four lane highway either, it's very light ( I googled the curb weight, motorcycle sites list it at 326 lbs.) and really strong crosswinds may cause you to feel a bit nervous. If you are thinking of purchasing a Vespa 300 to drive to work on a Multi-lane Highway, I would seriously consider a heavier scooter or motorcycle. The Vespa 300 is at home on city and town streets, and drove great on the 100 km/h paved roads and the secondary highways I travel on. Consider your riding areas before purchasing, it's best to know what kind of highways you plan to be travelling on.

Underseat storage works great for bags and some styles of helmets
At the end of the ride day we pulled into a local store to buy some munchies and groceries for supper. This is when a scooter proves it's worth and convenience. With a large bag of our purchased items, I push an unlock button under the ignition area, this pops my seat to unlock and I lift it up to reveal the underseat storage. In goes the groceries and my large purse. I put the seat back down and off we go, with all my things safely tucked away. Awesome!

Has a fuel gauge, speedo, low fuel light, oil light, ABS light, and high beam
This scooter has a large headlight which works well, but I found it not bright enough for me. I do not drive my scooters or motorcycles at night so this really isn't a problem for me. Due to the high number of deer in the area we live in, we really try to have our bikes parked before it's pitch black out. I also suffer from night blindness so don't make this a deal breaker for you, check it out for yourself first.


A great scoot for fun loving individuals
This scoot has front and back Disc brakes, they worked great. I did not experience any problems stopping. But I will tell you there is no park brake and it has a middle stand for parking. This scooter I am reviewing had a side stand installed for easy and quick parking. It is an after market accessory purchased from Scooter West. I was told at our Vespa Dealer that the Vespa scooters being sold in Canada do not come from the factory with side stands anymore. I recommend purchasing one if you don't want to be putting your scooter on the middle stand every time you park somewhere, or pull in to a gas station. This has been a very convenient accessory and I highly recommend it.

My final thoughts are very positive about the Vespa GTV 300 and I would buy one for sure...and yes I already have, this is my own Vespa that I did this review on. I have over 2500 km on it and have experienced plenty of great times riding this gem of a scooter. I drive it to work, and on the weekends I enjoy travelling to other lake communities with this lil guy. My husband also rides around on my Vespa and he is 6' 4" tall, not totally comfortable, but still he has a good time. I should also let you know that my height is 5' 5" tall, so this scooter is a very good seat height for me, and I can easily plant both my feet on the ground when parked. The reach to the handlebars is perfect also. If you have any questions, please ask me in the comments below. I will gladly answer them. I wish you all the best in choosing a scooter or motorcycle for all your future adventures. For sure consider the Vespa GTV 300, it has and continues to be an awesome scooter.






No comments:

Post a Comment