Sunday 3 January 2016

What kind of people drive a scooter?

When I started riding over 8 years ago, my first bike was a Yamaha XT225 dual purpose dirt bike. I started out on dirt trails and eventually moved on to street riding. Once I got into the street riding it wasn't long before I realized that this bike was not going to be a keeper due to the fact that living in Alberta you have a lot of distance to cover to get to places you want to see, mainly the National Parks and touring into British Columbia.

2009 Piaggio MP3 500 looking like an alien's scooter

When deciding to upgrade to a bigger motorcycle I found that I was immediately drawn to the great advantages of a scooter. The under seat storage, small storage areas located up front with easy access to retrieving your camera or cell phone, kleenex, wallet and plenty of other items you take traveling, it was a no brainer for me, a scooter was what I wanted! And the protection from bad weather was a great advantage also.


2013 Vespa GTV300 ready for a fun ride

I laugh when other motorcycle riders judge people who ride scooters and say it's because they can't ride anything that is a standard transmission. I assure you this is not the case! Driving a standard vehicle is easy for me, I have drove plenty of them. I also own a Suzuki Gladius but find I am constantly wanting to take my scooters out for a ride because they are so much fun!

2012 Yamaha TMax sport scooter

The big thing I notice about scooter people is they are a very casual, relaxed, and fun loving bunch of people. I have not met a scooter rider yet that is uptight and all about their ego, but I can tell you I have met plenty of motorcycle riders that definitely ride only for bragging rights and are HUGE POSERS! Scooter riders also love to laugh, that is why there are so many 50cc Scooter Rallies popping up that have endurance races, and what is more hysterical fun than people riding around at Rallies in costumes, driving all day and all night on a small scooter. Having fun, laughing, and sharing our stories of craziness with other riders is good medicine. It keeps you young and makes you forget about any stress you might be feeling.

While having dinner in Buck Lake we enjoyed the view, gotta love a Honda Ruckus

I recently sold my Vespa trying to downsize my small fleet of scooters and motorcycles but I have found myself back onto the dealership websites picking out my next scoot for this summer. I do have to mention that the Honda Grom isn't making this an easy choice as it just screams fun to me. In 2017 when The Mad Bastard Scooter Rally happens in Ontario this new scoot will have to be a small displacement bike for higher points. It is a on my bucket list of things to do and I can't wait! Driving around on a 50cc scooter dressed in a costume while doing an endurance race just seems like a crazy time filled with chaos, shenanigans, and unforgettable memories. Sign me up!

So if you're debating between buying a motorcycle or a scooter, really give the scooter a second look. I have no regrets buying mine, and hopefully there are plenty more in my future. They can be addictive and offer great times on two wheels. Anything that makes you have a shit ass grin everytime you ride scores huge with me, Well I better get back to shopping, I have a scooter to pick out, so lets see, should I buy a Vespa, Piaggio, Aprilia, Yamaha, Honda........oh ya, great times are in my future :)




No comments:

Post a Comment